The Daily Echo can reveal that work on the super-yacht inspired Southampton Harbour Hotel, which could become the city’s first five-star establishment for five years, will begin this July. And the firm behind the plans says that 300 jobs will be created at the hotel while more than 1,000 other positions could be created as a result of the new complex.
— Daily Echo article, Saturday 29th March 2014
Planning approval was granted in April 2012 and initial site investigations were conducted in November 2013. The Echo reports that the delay in starting the project was due to improvements being made to the layout of the buildings but does not go into detail about what these improvements are or whether additional planning consent is now required.
Some of the interesting highlights from the article:
- Work to begin in July
- Development will cost £50m
- Hotel operator is aiming for it to be categorised as a 5-star hotel
- Hampshire chef Alex Aitken is lined up to run the restaurant
- The hotel will directly employ 300 people
We have written to Harbour Hotels/Nicolas James Group asking for additional information.
Read our earlier coverage of the Harbour Hotel development
- Work to begin on Harbour Hotel at Ocean Village this July? (29th March 2014)
- Initial site investigations for Harbour Hotel development (6th November 2013)
- Ocean Village Hotel and Flats Approved (22nd April 2012)
- Planning Update on Ocean Village Hotel (22nd March 2012)
- New Planning Permission Sought for Hotel, Flats & More (23rd January 2012)
- £25m Ocean Village Hotel Announced (7th December 2011)
- Planning Application Time Extension for Promontory Hotel (5th May 2011)
- Planning Application for Ocean Village Hotel (17th January 2011)